Friday, February 25, 2011

What's in a name?

We've had a little confusion about the name of our little one so I thought I'd step in and help out a bit. Freja is pronounced "Fray-ya." Two syllables. The second syllable is pronounced like the first part of my name. So Freja = Fray-ya.

Where did we come up this name? First off, we knew that there aren't many names that go with Koorn and those that do are typically from Northern European areas like Holland, Germany or the Scandinavian countries. As most of you know, I lived in Sweden for a year and have an affinity toward Scandinavian culture and I suggested Freja. In Norse and Viking culture Freja was the goddess of love and beauty. She was also the leader of the Valkyries, the female warriors of the vikings. Additionally, it is largely believed that Freja is the origin of the word "Friday" (which is a day that all of us can agree is pretty cool :o) and our little Freja was coincidentally born on a Friday.

Maxine fit nicely between Freja and Koorn. Maxine is the feminine form of Maximilian which means "the greatest." After seeing her born I can assure you that Freja Maxine is the greatest!

Anyway, that is the background on our sweet little girl. Love you all!

-Jan

1 comment:

  1. Perfect! We like your explanation of your choice for her name, and what a great coincidence that she was born on a Friday, a week ago today.

    ReplyDelete