Saturday, March 26, 2011

Guest Blogger: Grandpa Dirk


Just when you start thinking that you are so surrounded by love from your wonderful family and friends that you couldn't possibly fit any more in your heart, along comes a granddaughter that so overwhelms you that you feel like your heart could burst from so much love. Holding little Freja in my arms, watching her sleep so angelically, breathing steadily against my chest, is like no other feeling I would have ever imagined before. Freja is absolutely adorable, perfect in every way, with long delicate fingers, perfectly shaped face and mouth, and deep blue eyes that are focusing more and more each day.

We arrived last Monday and will stay for a week. During the time we've been here I've taken Freja for a stroll in her stroller (Kelly allowed me to push it while she walked along with me), and got to carry her in the Ergo pack (like a backpack, but it goes in front, allowing Freja to sleep against my chest). In the house I can carry her around in my arms, which soothes her, but she really seems to prefer that I sit on the ball and gently bounce up and down. That definitely transports her to her dreamland. You can tell when she's dreaming because her eyes are moving behind her eyelids. Jeanne and I both want to hold her knowing our time with her is limited, so we take turns. We will have to leave this wonderful family and our granddaughter all too soon, and will follow her progress on the blog, but we are truly honored to have been allowed this time to get to know her at this stage of her life. Thank you Kelly and Jan for bringing this wonderful girl into our lives!

1 comment: